Saturday, May 31, 2008

Day 1, Part 5 - Flat Brody takes a Pick-A-Number DISUnplugged Podcast Trip!!!

Day 1, Part 5 - Glazed Over From Hunger

When I last left you, Mom and I and Flat Brody had finally gotten into our room at ASSp and spent just enough time in the room to make sure that the value resorts still used scratchy toilet paper and see if our hair was good enough. Besides our car was still parked at the curb so we needed to get moving.

Next stop was Shades of Green.

Mom’s AP was still good but I needed a new AP and if you are eligible for SOG tickets then this is the way to go for AP - no taxes!!! It saves about $40.

And I am happy to report that I did not miss the exit to MK this time. But on our way to SOG Mom checked the onboard computer a few times just to make sure we were still low on gas. We were still low on gas in case you were insterested.

You will pleased to know that the security at SOG is still strong and tight. Knowing in advance that my mother would need to show her military ID, she had it ready to show the guard. Mom is always prepared. What can I say? Like mother like daughter.

Of course in addition to the preparedness gene Mom also passed on the annoying trait of hiccuping on the first bite of a McDonald’s hamburger. It sounds weird but it is true. The first time it happened to me I was in my car after getting a drive-thru Happy Meal on my way back to work. I was at a traffic light happily eating my cheeseburger - after all isn’t being happy while eating your Happy Meal supposed to happen - and I hiccuped. It took me by total shock and I actually spoke the words "I’ve become my mother!!!" Strange how these things happen.

Anyways, I was in some way dreading the whole process of going to SOG to get my new AP.

The last time we went to SOG for tickets it was early in the morning and we were directed to park in the parking garage. Being that this is the military I never argue - they have problems with open defiance for some reason.

The SOG parking garage is fine but you usually have to drive up to the 3rd or 4th floor to find a parking place and it is quite a trek through the building back to the lobby - or any of the rooms we have ever been assigned while staying there.

But as fate would have it, it was now about 7:30 p.m. and the security guard told us to park in the golf course parking lot since the golf course was closed. I had never even considered this before. It was fabulous!! You are practically at the front doors to SOG. I’m going to remember this little trick the next time I am there even if it means I will have to openly defy the SOG security guard who works on behalf of the DOD.

Here is Flat Brody enjoying his first look at being in the military - even if it is at Disney World.


We found the Ticket & Attractions desk where they left it the last time. Since we were having such good luck today, there was only one person ahead of us and he was almost done with his business.

With my new AP voucher in hand, Mom and I checked out the PX next door to see if they had any souvenirs that we might be interested in but mainly to see if they had any Crocs for me. (My favorite pink Crocs had worn out so it was time for a new pair.) But the PX only had children’s Crocs so I would have to wait until later.

It is getting way past dinner time by now and I can tell Mom is starting to wane slightly from hunger and lack of coffee and we still need to gas up the car. So we make the short trip back to the car and exit SOG to make our way to the Hess Station outside of the MK.

Gas is only $3.53 a gallon. Woohoo!!! Did you ever think someone would be happy that gas was $3.53? These times are a changin’.

As a general rule, Mom and Me Trips always start with a trip to Downtown Disney for dinner at Earl of Sandwich and some shopping at World of Disney. This trip was no exception.

And I am happy to report that I found my way to DTD without any problems. I even remembered to turn into the correct parking lot.

DTD has those electronic signs letting you know which parking lots are full and which are open. I ignore those signs. Call me a rebel if you will. But I ignore them because if you follow those signs you would be at the West End of DTD and have to walk a mile or so just to get to Earl of Sandwich and have to walk a mile or so to get back to your car. This is just too much walking this early in the trip. We need to save our strength for the Parks. (My walking never killed anyone saying does not apply to DTD.)

And besides, I have always found a parking place in Parking Lot 1 - which the signs always say is closed.
As luck would have it, today was no exception. A parking place was found in the third row will minimal stalkerish behavior.

By this point Mom had almost completely glazed over so food was our first priority. We quickly made our way over to Earl of Sandwich which was packed. I should have suspected this since the PPP was that night and that means all of the people who were at MK and got kicked out at 7 p.m. eventually make their way over to DTD.

But no mind - we are patient and wait our turn. It amused me to watch the table trollers and Mom and I needed to decided what to order.

Decisions, decisions!! We usually order The Original 1762 and The All American and split them. But this trip was about trying new things so we decided on The Original 1762 and The Full Montagu.

Go ahead. You can say it. These ladies are rebels ordering The Full Montagu instead of The All American!!!

I know, I know. What can I say except that we are living on the edge.

I am not sure what kind of bread Earl of Sandwich uses but whatever it is I would trade my first born for it - if I had a first born, of course. It is perfect bread and I could eat it everyday for the rest of me life. Yummmmmmmm

Even Flat Brody enjoyed the sandwiches.



Next trip we will be going back to The All American instead of The Full Montagu. Nothing is wrong with The Full Montagu. It was a very nice sandwich but nothing extra special except for the bread and we can get the bread on The All American. Besides, I just love cranberries with turkey that The All American provides.

Having scarfed down our sandwiches and caffeinated ourselves - Mom with coffee and me with Diet Coke - it is time to do a little shopping.

Next installment - The Quest for Postcards.

No comments: