Thursday, May 29, 2008

Day 1, Part 3 - Flat Brody takes a Pick-A-Number DISUnplugged Podcast Trip!!!

Mom, me and Flat Brody all made it safely across the street in to the lobby of Disney’s All Star Sports Resort.

We did pass lots of little princesses and pirates on the way to Mickey’s Pirate and Princess Party. I would have loved to have gone to the PPP but there was just no way to drive to Orlando, get checked in and settled in to the hotel and still get to the Party and not be a stressed out freak. Trust me that no one wants to see my Princesszilla side come out. It has taken me years to repress my inner Princesszilla and I don’t want to have to go into therapy over a PPP. So, we’ll have to catch another PPP on our next trip.


It's time for our first queue of the trip!!


It is 6:40 p.m. by this time and the lobby isn’t all that busy. There are probably 2 groups in front of us in the line. Mom and I wait our turn and use the time to get organized by getting my driver’s license, credit card, AP - in case they want to see it since we got an AP rate, and my confirmation number - in case there is a problem with the reservation I like to be prepared. I’ve never had a problem before but I am like a boy scout that way.

Flat Brody waited patiently in line with us.

You have to really be on your toes when you are next in line though. It is hard to see the Front Desk Cast Members and you need to be scanning all of them so you don’t miss the subtle eye contact and head motion that they are ready for you. If you look away for an instant you might miss the signal and then the CM has to do the arm flail movement that you just know they hate to do.

Luckily I was still hyped up on sleeplessness and adrenalin so I saw the signal. It was the CM right in front of the line. Very convenient. Mom and I moved forward and I say "we would like to check in" and do the preemptive hand off of the driver’s license and credit card. Like I said, I like to be prepared.

I have no idea what our CM’s name was because she had her long hair swept over one shoulder covering up her name tag.

Can you see the name tag for the hair?

I didn’t think so. :)

But I did glimpse that she was from China - which would explain why I had no idea what she said at any given moment. Oh, and she was very soft spoken also.

Well, if you have ever been in a Disney value resort lobby you know that they are noisy places so even if I could have understood her I wouldn’t have been able to hear her. I am all for the international CMs but come on - the guests have to be able to understand them. After a few "I’m sorry what did you says" I could catch enough of what she was saying to follow along. Now I know why they have you sign and initial your registration forms.

This is not the first time we have come across a front desk CM from China that we couldn’t understand either. It happened last August at Saratoga Springs Resort. The only difference was that at SSR the CM was a man and I could see his name tag. Oh, and SSR is much quieter than ASSp.

Thankfully we are easy check ins - no room location special requests, no DDP to explain, no tickets to explain. Just give me my key, tell me where my room is, where I should park and I am go to go.
Easy enough, right?
Hold that thought.

No comments: