Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Day 1, Part 2 - Flat Brody takes a Pick-A-Number DISUnplugged Podcast Trip!!!

Day 1, Part 2 - Did I take the wrong turn, again?

We’ve arrived on Disney Property!!
Does anyone else get confused about what exit to take from I-4 to get to your resort? The signs direct you to the parks but not the resorts. Unless you know which park area your resort is in you just are left to picking one and hoping for the best.

Have no fear though! I had consulted a map of WDW property before hand and knew not to take the Magic Kindgom exit to get to the Magic Kindgom. According to the old adage, the quickest way between 2 points is a straight line. So, I took the Animal Kingdom exit. It sounds really convoluted now but at the time it made perfect sense to me.

But where should be go first? All Star Sports to check in? Shades of Green to buy my new Annual Pass? Get gas at the Hess Station since the light on the gas gauge just turned on? How does one answer these eternal questions of life?

Mom and I had a quick discussion and decided to go to Shades of Green (SOG) first so I could get my new Annual Pass (AP) and then stop at the Hess Station to fill up on gas. I learned from previous trips that the Hess Stations usually had the cheapest gas anywhere close to Disney property.
Mom was getting a little nervous though since the onboard computer was saying we only had 30 or so miles left before we were stranded on World Drive left to fend for ourselves. (She is one of these people who never lets the tank get below 1/4.)
I tried to assure her that we had plenty of gas to get us to where we were going. You see, I have personal experience with driving her car when the gas gauge light turns on. And I knew we had plenty of gas left. Besides, we had OnStar and everyone knows that every problem is taken care of with one little push of the blue button.
But don’t you know, I missed the turn towards the Magic Kingdom. (This is not the first time I have missed a turn on Disney Property and had to make countless loops around roads following ambiguous purple street signs.) The sign to MK said turn left next light. But there wasn’t a left turn lane at the next light it was at the second light but there wasn’t another sign at the second light saying "turn here Tonya." So I didn’t turn.
(This happened to me a lot last August when we kept trying to get back to Saratoga Springs. After the first 2 days we just laughed about it.)
You would probably never guess that I actually have an excellent sense of direction. And Disney property is just about the only time I ever get lost.
***Take a hint Disney Executives and get better signs!!!***

But as past experience has taught me, just drive long enough and you will find another vague purple sign. As luck would have it though, the next sign we saw was pointing us to the All Star Resorts. Being the ever clever person I am, I jumped on our chance to adjust our plans and go ahead and check in since we were so close to All Star Sports. No sense wasting precious time while at WDW.

Mom agreed and off we went to the security gates to get into our home for the next 2 nights.

Having stayed at an All Star resort, I knew we had to park across the street and brave crossing the street back to the lobby in order to check in. Am I the only one who has this fear of being hit by a bus when you cross this intersection? I stop and look and I know the bus drivers are looking also but it just seems like an accident waiting to happen. The buses just seem to be going so fast that it would be hard to stop if a child - or me - forgot to look from excitement of finally being at WDW.

But guess what? Flat Brody was not afraid at all. He was very excited to finally make it to WDW.

And look on the left hand side of the picture - you can get a glimpse at Mom in her lime green pants making her way to the safety of the pedestrian crossing. She is a rules girl all the way.

No comments: