Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Christmas Frosty Got Knifed!!

There was a thread on the DISboards that I can across where the original poster had someone cut all of her tulips from her front yard so I posted my yard vandalism story. Here it is:

It was a few days before Christmas about 6 years ago and everything was merry - until Frosty got knifed. That's right folks!!! Frosty the Snowman got knifed!!! We had one of those inflatable giant Frosty yard decorations in our front yard (not something we normally put out but my Dad just had to have it when he saw it in the store) and a car stopped and several "yutes" got out and slashed our Frosty. It was one of the most depressing things to see - a rapidly deflating Frosty at Christmas time. We weren't the only house to have sustained carnage - we later saw several deflated Santa's and Rudolf's. But being a handy person, the next morning I duct taped Frosty to get him back to his previously inflated state and Christmas returned to being mostly merry. And that is why, in my family, it is always referred to as "the Christmas Frosty got knifed".

As a follow up I posted this:

We did not allow my father to buy anymore inflatable Christmas yard decorations after the Frosty incident. Although he circumvented the rules and ended up buying some lighted mechanical pink flamingos with Santa hats on them. (You have to love a dad who continues to try to have tacky holiday yard decorations.) Well, you can imagine what happened with the pink flamingos - the "yutes" returned and tried to steal them. Little did they realize but all of the flamingos were attached to each other since they were after all lighted flamingos and they were also staked into the yard. So the "yutes" were foiled that year and Christmas was saved - but the flamingos did sustain considerable damage. And darn it if my dad doesn't still has those tacky things in the garage. (He keeps saying he is going to fix them but has yet to succeed.) Now my parents put out the lighted reindeer who graze. Grazing reindeer must be pretty boring because the "yutes" have left those alone.

When I was at home over Mother's Day, I noticed the broken pink flamingos are still in the garage. The Christmas spirit continues to live at the Sayers' household!!

No comments: