Friday, March 28, 2008

Adventures in Godmothering

Over this past Easter weekend, I, along with my "bestest" friends from high school, had the honor of becoming the Godmothers for little sweet Hollis. Baby Hollis is the son of our friends Kim and Tripp. (We are also the godmother to Hollis' older sister, Arrie B.) It sounds simple enough to become a Godmother - show up at the church and promise to uphold a child throughout their life with regard to their spiritual guidance. Right? Well, not so easy it seems.

When Arrie B was baptized things went fairly smooth since her mother told us to come down front when the families were called for the baptism. At that baptism, Gaby was sitting in the middle of the church and Lisa and I were sitting in the back of the church. Lisa and I saw Gaby stand up and go to the front of the church so that was our clue to also stand up and go to the front of the church. We still had a little bit of hesitation since the minister never actually says "Godparents, come on down!!" but we followed Gaby's lead and no one was the wiser.

Hollis' baptism was a different story. Lisa and I were once again in the back of the church. (Not sure why because at my own church I sit toward the front of the church. And I know Lisa is a join right in kinda person.) But this time Gaby was unable to attend the baptism - and Hollis' mother never told told us to come down front when the families were called for the baptism. So, Lisa and I were blissfully sitting in the back of the church enjoying our surroundings and, since we were in the back, we couldn't really see what was going on in the front of the church. When all of a sudden Tripp rushes down the church aisle frantically asking "Lisa? Lisa Smith?" I am just about to nudge Lisa in the leg when he says "Tonya Sayers?" Ohhhhh the horror!!!!!!!

Well, Lisa and I both realize what is going on and jump into action. At least I tried to. It seems that I had slipped my shoes off so I had to quickly find them with my toes and get them back on the proper feet. Thankfully, I wasn't wearing lace up shoes. Then Lisa and I both had to step over our pew mates and rush walk down front. When we get to the proper spot next to the Godfathers, we had no idea where we were in the service and didn't bring along our programs so we had no idea what our responses were supposed as we vowed to help Hollis make sure his precious little soul makes it to heaven. Ohhhhh the horror!!!!!!!

We muddled through and hoped no one noticed our faux pas. At least we thought we had fooled everyone until we returned to our pew after our muttered promises and our pew mate leans over and asks Lisa why we didn't know we were Godmothers. Ohhhhh the horror!!!!!!!

Well, at least we were there for little Hollis. And we promise we'll do better. :)

(But I can't promise I will have my shoes on.) Ohhhhh the horror!!!!!!!

No comments: