Friday, June 25, 2010

Movie and a Pizza???

One thing I have discovered on my gluten free journey so far is that eating gluten free is easier when I at my house and not having to orient my family that I am eating gluten free and I can't eat like I have for the last forty two years. The old saying holds true: you can't teach a old dog new tricks. (Not that I am calling my parents old.) ;)

While visiting my parents recently, Mom and I went to a late matinee showing of Letters to Juliet. (It was a good "chick flick" by the way.") As we left the theater about 6:15 p.m., Mom and I briefly discussed what to eat for dinner. We didn't make a decision, which was a good thing because when we walked in to the house Dad announced that he had ordered pizza for dinner. My reaction was not a happy reaction but more of a "what are you thinking? I can't eat pizza" reaction. Thankfully, I had been to the grocery store and happened to pick up a frozen gluten free pizza. Dinner was saved!!!!


So, I opened the freezer and turned on the oven to cook my Gluten Free & FABULOUS Pepperoni Pizza. Quite honestly, that is quite the name to live up to so I was hoping for something really good especially since it was $7.99 and only 8 inches.


I followed the directions exactly - heated the oven, removed the plastic and cardboard round, put the pizza directly on the oven rack, and waited the allotted cooking time. By this time, the pizza delivery guy had arrived and I was really craving some "real" pizza". Part of my brain said "just a little piece of pepperoni won't hurt" but the other part of my brain won out and I waited patiently for my gluten free pizza to finish cooking. But the pizza didn't really want to brown up in the middle and I was afraid it was going to burn so I pulled it out.


The results: It was okay. I'm not really that picky about my pizza - I think Papa John's is good, so I am certainly not a pizza snob. The Gluten Free & FABULOUS Pepperoni Pizza reminded me of a frozen pizza you eat in college when you have run out of money but with a thinner crust. Since it didn't really brown up in the middle of the pizza the center was a little gummy but it didn't have any aftertaste or strange texture. The pepperoni were good and there was more cheese than I expected.


All in all it was fine and I wasn't "only kid at the party without cake" but for $7.99 it could have been better. In the future, I will look for other brands of gluten free pizza or just make the crust myself when I HAVE to have pizza. I've seen frozen gluten free pizza crusts at the grocery store so I might try those but that also requires that I would need all of the other ingredients which might be a problem for my recent habit of avoiding the grocery store at all cost. Sad but true.

No comments: