Saturday, June 26, 2010

Adventures in Brownies - Take 3

Since I have been avoiding the grocery store lately, I am out of most of my snack foods and have been pantry surfing in between meals with no success. There is however that third box of gluten free brownies that needed to be made. So, I made them to see if they would satisfy my cravings for junk food.

Photobucket
The Betty Crocker Gluten Free Brownie Mix was simple to make - just add melted butter and eggs but no water. Most regular brownie mixes require that you add oil, eggs and water. I was confused with this but went with it. The batter ended up being more like a dough, similar to the Pamela's Products Chocolate Brownie Mix I previously made.

One thing I have noticed about gluten free flours is that they are very, very fine. So fine that when I poured the mix into the bowl you could see the sugar crystals in the brownie mix which is something you don't notice in regular brownie mixes. Being a curious person by nature, I really need Alton Brown to do a show on gluten free baking so I can understand the science behind all of this. I am not understanding the why and how of gluten free baked goods.
Photobucket
The results: These brownies were pretty good. They had a nice chocolate flavor and were fudgie and moist with no unpleasant aftertaste at all. Are they as good as regular brownies? No. Are they a pretty good substitute so I am not "only the kid at the party without cake"? Yes.

I did notice that if you rolled the brownie around on your tongue it was a bit grainy. But if you didn't roll it around on your tongue you don't notice it. So, I will refrain from rolling the brownie around on my tongue in the future.

Another thing I noticed was this brownie was a tad bit sweeter than a regular brownie. And although I don't typically like nuts in my brownies, I think that if you added some walnuts to this mix the sweetness might be cut a little and make a pretty good brownie.

All in all, I am pleased. In fact I am so pleased, I think I may go eat another brownie. :)

No comments: