Monday, June 16, 2008

Day 2, Part 5 - Flat Brody takes a Pick-A-Number DISUnplugged Podcast Trip!!!

Day 2, Part 5 - Is That Music I Hear?

After feeling vindicated that the highly undesirable table by the swinging doors was still vacant, it was time to leave the Magic Kingdom and venture on to Epcot. But not before we shopped our way down Main Street. There is a reason that the Emporium is the length of Main Street and we intended to take full advantage of it. Besides, we still needed one more postcard.

Other than the postcard, we didn’t need anything. But shopping at Disney World isn’t usually about need, is it? One disadvantage to having an Annual Pass is that after a few visits you don’t really buy anything . . . and I like to buy stuff. I consider it a hobby - sort of like Dad’s stamp collecting.

As we moved through the store sections, I heard happy music starting. Always one to take advantage of an opportunity, I put the Cinderella snow globe I had been looking at back on the shelf and went to see what was going on. Sure enough, it was the Magic Kingdom Philharmonic entertaining the crowds.


Have a listen




I just love when we happen upon fun things like that at Disney World. It just seems so spontaneous - like a musical when everyone just breaks out in song and dance in the middle of the street for no reason. It’s just magical.

After the band moved on, we returned to our shopping adventure but reminding ourselves that we really only needed a postcard. And we eventually found the postcards and found a wider selection than the World of Disney. Thankfully, postcard sending isn’t a totally dead gesture.

A benefit of shopping in the middle of the day is that it is easier to find someone to ring up your purchase - unlike shopping at park closing time. So our shopping adventure was over and uneventful - my wallet thanked me but my desire to shop was yearning to be quenched. (Being practical is no fun at all.)

I have learned a few things in my slightly older age and that is to always tinkle before you go on a journey because you never know when you will get another chance. And this is exactly what we did - took a trip to the ladies room next to Town Hall before we ventured to Epcot. It is a busy bathroom but luckily a large one so there is never a wait.

But we also took the time to finish the last postcard to my youngest nephew. Or should I say that Mom finished the last postcard. Originally the postcards were going to be from both of us. But Mom wrote the other two postcards and even signed my name. Fine. I am a big girl. But this last postcard she said "do you want to sign your name?" I promptly told her" no . . . too little, too late." I was joking of course but next time I am sending my own postcards, darn it!!! If I wanted someone to sign my name I would just get married.

With postcardgate over, we hopped on the Monorail to the TTC (Transportation & Ticket Center) so we could transfer to the Monorail to Epcot. And you know, since they took out the carpet the Monorails almost smell pleasant - much better than the barnyard sweat smell of trips gone by.

Flat Brody was very excited for his first Monorail ride.

After our short Monorail trip to the TTC, we made our way to the line for the Epcot Monorail. But there was no line. The Monorail must have just left and we were the first people to arrive at the platform. The gears in my mind snapped to attention and before I even knew what was happening I did the only thing a devoted DISer could do - I asked if we could ride in the front of the Monorail.

~~~Hallelujah~~~

Of course the Cast Member said yes and pointed us to the first holding pen. (Don’t you sort of feel like a cow being led to market when they put you in the waiting corrals for the Monorail? Hmmmm, maybe it is just me?)

We only waited a few minutes for the next Monorail to arrive. Mom had never ridden in the front car of the Monorail and the trip to Epcot is a great way to check that off the list. It is longer than most Monorail trips and you get a great view of Future World as you enter the Epcot station.

Flat Brody was delighted with his duties as Monorail Pilot.

Mom enjoying the view.

We even played chicken with another Monorail


The best part of the trip.


And we even got our special Co-Pilot License.

Next installment - Are you sure this isn’t Little Italy?

No comments: